Are We Biblical Relativists?

DISCLAIMER: My intention in writing this post is absolutely not to attack or cause offence or hurt feelings. I realize that many have been taught that we should look for confirmation of our plans from verses in the Bible. I felt compelled to write this because I am worried that we have been led down a dangerous path in how we are reading and applying the Scriptures. I hope that if this is your background you will patiently and prayerfully consider the following. If you see Scriptural support for looking for confirmation from Bible verses that you feel I am missing, I welcome your comments.


Many of you probably have heard of Relativism, the philosophy that believes that truth is only true for the beholder. In other words, 'if its true for me, then it is my truth.'

Out of Relativism was born Deconstructionism (sounds more complicated than it is). One popular view of Deconstructionism is that when we read a book, each of us view it through our own lenses of personal experience and so we each find our own meaning from it. Essentially this view holds that there is no concrete meaning from any book, there is only the meaning that we get out of the book. Now there certainly are aspects of truth to this. For example I remember rereading a book after many years, but I had grown and changed a lot during that time so my second time through I realized there were many things that I felt differently about than when I first read the book.

The question is, does every aspect of meaning change? Does the author's meaning only mean that to him, or did the author expect his or her readers to actually understand a certain point being communicated?

This is a fairly easy issue to resolve because the idea of Deconstructionism was written in books, so the authors certainly intended the meaning of their ideas to be communicated to others which is why they wrote the books in the first place. It is quite clear that there is no way to avoid the fact that authors have an intended meaning when they write something.

By now most of you are probably thinking, "Who cares?" Or "Why are you telling us all this stuff?" Well I write these posts because I desire to communicate something concrete. Most importantly I firmly believe that when the Holy Spirit inspired men to write the books of the Bible, God was VERY SPECIFIC in what He desired to communicate. God wrote the 10 commandments on stone tablets to communicate (concretely, in both a literal and figurative sense I suppose) the requirements of the law.

Now as we grow we certainly will read and understand different Bible passages in different ways. For example, passages on marriage certainly won't have the same 'meaning' before and after marriage. I hope we would all agree that a crucial aspect to reading our Bibles is so that we can apply the timeless truths to our lives. But does this mean that we can 'apply' Bible texts in any way we want?

Have you ever been asked, "Did you get a verse for that?" Or maybe you have said, "The Lord gave me a verse to confirm that I am supposed to do this."

When we view these statements against the backdrop of the Deconstructionist movement, doesn't this sound incredibly close to the Relativistic, "If its true for me then its my truth?"

In my first post I argued that the Bible is primarily a written account of God's plan of redemption. God's chief concern in giving us the Bible was to reveal Himself to us as the Creator come to be our Savior. Most of the Christians I know wholeheartedly agree with this, but as we are greatly shaped by our culture other views slip in and so we tend to fall back into looking at the Bible as an instruction manual instead.

Another way that we have been shaped by our culture is that we have a tendency to 'deconstruct' or relativize the Bible and apply it to our lives as a book that informs us of everyday life decisions. If we have a desire to do something or make a life change we scour our Bibles looking for that (allegedly) perfect verse that will speak to us and confirm whether or not we should move ahead with our plans.

Is this the way that God desired for us to use our Bibles? I absolutely agree that the Bible is the primary source of wisdom and truth, but was it God's intent for us to read and then relativize Bible passages for every situation in our life?

Perhaps another illustration of this will help. Most of the conservative Christians that I know stand firmly against the 'name it, claim it' doctrines of the health and wealth teachers of our day. However, it seems that using the Bible as our own personal 'life coach' is the same thing. We are praying about an issue but want more clarification so we read a verse (that in it's literal, historical and grammatical context has absolutely nothing to do with our present situation!!) and then we 'claim it' as support for our purposes. We 'name and claim' that verse as our own guarantee that this is God's will for our lives.

Having said all this, I recognize that some may be asking, "Is this really a big deal?" For the following reason I must respond that this is in fact a very big deal.

The first concern is that this usage of the Bible can be a huge stumbling block. Over the years I have had the pleasure of meeting and serving with some of the most wonderful saints, most of whom have never 'received a verse' for anything, and have never even heard of the Bible being used this way. What if one of these precious believers begin attending a church that does use the Bible this way? Feelings of inadequacy and insecurities about their walk could result from being questioned as to whether or not they have a verse to support their decisions. This could lead to a view that only certain believers receive verses while others do not which may cause arrogance on the part of those that do receive verses and despair on the part of those that do not.

Far more significantly, if we think back to the original sin in the Garden of Eden we remember that the Serpent twisted the Word of God to lead Eve into sin. It was the very altering of God's Word that was used to bring the curse of sin upon the world which leads me to believe that this issue of twisting the meaning of Bible is very dangerous. You may also remember when Jesus was fasting in the wilderness how Satan again tried to twist the Scriptures to tempt Jesus.

The saying goes, "A text, without a context, is a pretext for a proof-text." Or in other words if you remove a saying from the authors original body of work you can then use that text as a 'foundational' text for 'proving' anything you want.

How Should We Use The Bible?

In 2 Timothy 3:16-17 Paul says, "All Scripture is breathed out by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, and for training in righteousness, that the man of God may be complete, equipped for every good work."

These are some of Paul's last recorded words and he writes to Timothy about the importance and purpose of Scripture. The greater context of this passage is that Paul is warning Timothy specifically about those who would distort God's Word, and then he reminds him of the importance and purpose of God's Word. In verse 15 Paul brings the key issue to light saying, "...you have known the holy writings, which are able to give you wisdom for salvation through faith in Christ Jesus." Paul is reminding Timothy of the supremacy of the Word in revealing God's plan of salvation.

Paul continues saying that Scripture is inspired (God breathed) and profitable for teaching which speaks specifically of doctrine. Reproof speaks of rebuking in order to convict of false doctrine and correction speaks of restoring something to its original and proper condition. Finally the Word is to be used for training in righteousness or instructing and building up in the truth. In verse 17 the 'complete, equipped for every good work' could be paraphrased 'enabled to meet all demands of righteousness.' The idea is that as Timothy reads and studies the Word he will be completely prepared for the ministry that the Lord has for him.

While there absolutely are principles in the Bible that help us to govern our lives and make wise choices, God's chief concern was the revealing of Himself to us in the Scriptures and that the world would come to a saving knowledge in Jesus Christ. Once saved, His Word protects, instructs, corrects, exhorts, equips, (etc) believers so that they can grow in a faith relationship with Him and so that they can go and tell others about this amazing Savior God.

Of course we all desire to know God's specific will for our lives, but if we always knew His will beyond a shadow of a doubt then it certainly wouldn't be FAITH!! We have been called to walk by faith, not by sight. Yes, He guides us with timeless truths, principles, and commandments from His Word, but I do not see anywhere in Scripture that we are able to find, or even that we should try to find, a guarantee for His specific will for our lives.

As Hebrews 11:1 says, "Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen." Then in vs 6 we read, "And without faith it is impossible to please Him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that He exists and that He is a rewards those who seek Him."

I hope we can all agree that God is the first and greatest communicator, even speaking the universe into existence. If He desires to communicate to us specific directions for our lives He is certainly able to do so without twisting the plain meaning of His Word just as Satan tries to do. We must honor the context of each verse within the passage, the passage within the book, and the book within the Bible.

God wrote a book about man's greatest need and about His incredible provision, and He desires for us to read it, study it and apply it at face value.

Comments

  1. Great post Trev. I particularly appreciated this as a literature student. It seems to me that you're leaning more towards reader-oriented criticism than just Deconstructionism, but they both certainly apply. The thing with most schools of literary criticism is that they ignore what the author says his intention was and focus on the text by itself. They don't leave out social and historical context entirely, but many believe the text or the text and the reader are all that is necessary to find the meaning.

    I can see where the problem comes in here with ignoring the author's intentions outside the text and believing that only the intentions that are apparent matter, but let me suggest this as a potential solution: God wasn't the author in the sense that literary critics think of an author.

    In reconciling my beliefs as a Christian and my identity as a writer/literature student, I've had to deal with this directly. But is it a problem still if we look at the authorship of the Bible as the earthly writers and view the guiding hand as God. If we find something in the text that doesn't seem to be intended by Paul or whoever wrote it, should we take it as a misspoken phrase or as God working through the writer to get a message that he wants in there? I don't mean to sound entirely Relativistic, if this is done it should be done prayerfully and with thorough study of the whole text of course, but it kind of leads into my next question.

    Is it always wrong to read a verse without the full context as God weighing in on a life decision? I agree that it is wrong to go scouring through the Bible searching for affirmation of something; that is simply confirmation bias at work and wrong. However, if the Bible is the living word of God, and the Spirit is active in the world, could he not point a person to a certain verse that seems oddly apt for a current situation they're in? And wouldn't it then be between them and God to hash out if that was an actual message from Him or them misinterpreting? But maybe my thoughts are getting a little too slippery-slope-ish there, I don't know.

    I guess my point is to ask whether this practice is fundamentally wrong and flawed, or if it is the misapplication of it and taking prayer and really searching for God's will out of the equation? These are just some thoughts I had and have been having, I don't know how Biblically valid some of them may be so don't take them as my hard and fast views on the subject, just as a possible counter-point.

    Thanks for the thought-provoking post, keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Levi, great to hear from you bro. How you been?

      Clarifying our view of the authorship of Scripture is key to understanding this. To you question is God the guiding hand and the human the author? I think that we must be careful to recognize that the Bible teaches that God is the ultimate Divine Author, but He used humans to put the words on paper. Now in this we can be guaranteed that the words are exactly what God wanted, but the personality of each author still comes through. Example: Paul is logical and systematic, James is blunt and in your face.

      Could you also elaborate what you mean by 'we find something in the text that doesn't seem to be intended...'?

      Regarding reading a verse without its full context, this is where things can become interesting. It seems that the way that NT writers quote the OT is not always in 'context' of the exact passage that they quote, so does this free us to do the same thing? I think the answer is that we must recognize that their quotes are still supported by the greater context of Scripture. They took the verse and 'applied' it using other Biblical support.

      I think this is also the case with Paul's use of allegory in Galatians 4, while today we would discourage allegory as a hermeneutical method, we must remember that Paul was inspired by the Holy Spirit, and again his thought is supported by other Biblical themes.


      Personally I hold a very high view of Scripture, so while I won't go so far to say that this is 'fundamentally wrong' in a sinful sense, I would say that this is a (to steal from you ;-) slippery-slope-ishy place to be.

      If on the other hand we read our Bible and glean a principle clearly taught from the text then we absolutely must apply these things to our lives. For example: When Jess and I were praying about moving to New York, Stuart came and taught a session for the youth group and the passage that he taught on was Discipleship from Luke 14 which talks about leaving father and mother for Him. Now this verse spoke to me right where I was at because one of our main concerns was moving so far away from family. But notice that there is a very clear principle being taught in the passage from Luke, that sometimes the call to discipleship means leaving everything to follow Jesus. Now I certainly felt that the Lord was using this to speak to me, but yes I went home and Jess and I continued to pray and allow the Lord to lead.

      In the post I am more concerned with something like this: I am praying about where to plant a church, and I read Psalm 1 for my morning devotionals and read the verse, "He shall be like a tree firmly planted by streams of water and will yield his fruit in season..." Then I say, "OK, The Lord gave me Psalm 1 and told me that I need to plant my church near water. So I am going to look to plant a church in a city by a river, lake or ocean, and when I do it will yield fruit in it's season."

      This is the use of Scripture that concerns me. Psalm 1 gives us a principle that the man that does not walk in wicked counsel, but delights in the law of the Lord will be Blessed. Instead of directions for where to plant a church, it tells me the principles for how to be firm in my faith.

      Blessings!

      Delete
    2. That cleared it up quite nicely for me. I guess I wasn't quite getting the differentiation from getting a verse that could apply to a specific situation and that fitting the essence of the verse in context versus finding a verse like your Psalm 1 example and applying vastly different situations. With that I would definitely have to agree.

      What I meant by "we find something in the text that doesn't seem to be intended..." applies a lot easier to modern texts but I'm sure could also apply here, particularly with the OT. It's often the case in literature that the mass readership will glean a certain message from a text, but if the author were asked about it they would say that they never put that in there. However in most criticisms that doesn't matter as long as there is ample evidence in the text itself to support the perceived message as a valid reading.

      This could especially apply to biblical literature in the OT histories. When the authors were recording the histories, especially older ones before the history was "complete" as we see it now, I doubt they had in mind all of the timeless truths and major themes that modern biblical scholars may find. Potentially, some may say that that is disregarding the context of the author's intentions; since they didn't plan that message it isn't valid or something. I take things like that as God's bigger plan beyond what the individual authors knew. So now that I think about it I suppose the proper counter to that would be that while it ignores the individual authors' intentions or lack thereof, it still conforms to the overall context of the Biblical canon.

      Delete
    3. YES I totally agree about God's bigger plan and the authors not understanding.

      The literary critic point is very interesting for a couple of reasons:

      1) You mentioned that in modern cases if a group of readers all agree on the understanding, then whether or not the author meant it, it becomes a valid reading.

      Since the Bible is Divinely Authored and since He is incomprehensible (beyond our ability to FULLY understand), we will never completely exhaust the jewels found in Scripture until we are in heaven (IF EVEN THEN!)

      2) I am reminded of the passage from 1Peter 1 that the Angels long to look into the Gospel. Angels that have had a 'birds eye view' so to speak of the unfolding of history still LONG to look into the Gospel.

      We will NEVER fully comprehend the power of the Gospel!

      Love ya bro.

      Delete
  2. There is only 1 true meaning to each scripture.

    That said, there may be different applications of that truth.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your post. I’m sure you will step on toes. Thirty years ago there was a song we sang called “Lift Jesus High” It had a verse that said, “if I be lifted up, I will draw all men unto me.” People thought that you should proclaim the name of Jesus and He will save people. In context John 12:32 refers to the crucifixion. So the song in context was calling to crucify Jesus. We called it the heresy song. It only took two years before we convinced our music team to stop singing it. But I see from the web that people are still singing it today.
    Scripture is God breathed. I’ve never heard of distorting the word for specific events in a person’s life. I do believe that God can speak to a person’s heart about something and give confirmation but not by distorting scripture. In many cases confirmation comes from alignment with the word of God but not a distortion of his word. Fundamentalists stress context, grammar and historical background in understanding scripture. It sounds like you see a problem in the culture of the church that needs to be addressed and conformed to the Word of God. You will always run into opposition if you propose the Word of God as the only standard. Man wants to elevate himself and justify his behavior. It seems that people are trivializing the Word of God. I stand with you on this. God’s word leads us to Him. It is all about Jesus and repentance. The more we know of God’s word the more He shows us our failings and His love.
    Keep up your study. I pray that God will reveal Himself to you more every day. I hope you walk closer to Him than I ever have. He does not disappoint and is true to His word. Isaiah 55:11. You do not need to defend God’s Word but a pastor’s job is to lead the sheep to Christ. The only way to know Jesus is to study his word and do it. Keep challenging us to live up to the His word so that we may all become more like Christ.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Larry. You bless me. Love you guys

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Rethinking the B.I.B.L.E.

When Did Christianity Become 'Safe'